National Geographic Big Cats explorer Gus Mills is examining cheetahs in the arid environment of the Kalahari. The cheetahs are tracked using San trackers, radios, and DNA analyses. This data helps park managers ensure the continued existence of the cheetahs and future monitoring. It also serves as an example for the conservation of the species in other arid regions. With National Geographic’s support, Mills was able to complete his fieldwork and research.
Pictured: A three-week-old cub squashes one of its two litter mates during a brief visit by Mills to the den while the mother was out hunting. Mills and his team need to count the cubs and collect DNA from fur samples in order to establish paternity. Such brief interactions do not disturb the cheetahs, and they have never observed any adverse reaction by the mother or cubs.
Big Cats Initiative
National Geographic is working to avert the extinction of lions, cheetahs, and other big cats with the Big Cats Initiative, a comprehensive program that supports innovative projects. Learn how you can help save these animals.
For just $5, you can help save big cats by uploading a photo of your little kitty
- The cheetah is the world’s fastest land mammal. It can run at speeds of up to 70 miles an hour (113 kilometers an hour).
- An adult lion’s roar can be heard up to five miles (eight kilometers) away.
- Long, muscular hind legs enable snow leopards to leap seven times their own body length in a single bound.
- A tiger’s stripes are like fingerprints—no two animals have the same pattern.
- The strongest climber among the big cats, a leopard can carry prey twice its weight up a tree.
- The Amur leopard is one of the most endangered animals in the world.
- In one stride, a cheetah can cover 23 to 26 feet (7 to 8 meters).
- The name “jaguar” comes from a Native American word meaning “he who kills with one leap.”
- In the wild, lions live for an average of 12 years and up to 16 years. They live up to 25 years in captivity.
- The mountain lion and the cheetah share an ancestor.
- Cheetahs do not roar, as the other big cats do. Instead, they purr.
- Tigers are excellent swimmers and do not avoid water.
- A female Amur leopard gives birth to one to four cubs in each litter.
- Fossil records from two million years ago show evidence of jaguars.
- Lions are the only cats that live in groups, called prides. Every female within the pride is usually related.
- The leopard is the most widespread of all big cats.
- Mountain lions are strong jumpers, thanks to muscular hind legs that are longer than their front legs.
- Tigers have been hunted for their skin, bones, and other body parts, used in traditional Chinese medicine.
- Unlike other cats, lions have a tuft of hair at the end of their tails.
- After humans, mountain lions have the largest range of any mammal in the Western Hemisphere.
Life is like a roller coaster,
sometimes your up, sometimes your down.
But you ALWAYS have to REMEMBER.
It was designed just to have FUN!
Researchers at Linkoping University in Sweden studied the effect on blood glucose, blood lipids and different hormones after meals were compared using three different macronutrient compositions in patients with type 2 diabetes.
The three diets were a low fat diet, a low carbohydrate diet and a Mediterranean diet. The scientists included 21 patients that tested all three diets in a randomized order. During each test day blood samples were collected at six time points.
The low fat diet had a nutrient composition that has traditionally been recommended in the Nordic countries, with about 55% of the total energy from the carbohydrates. The low carbohydrate diet had a relatively low content of carbohydrate; approximately 20% of the energy was from carbohydrates and about 50% of the total energy came from fat.
The Mediterranean diet was composed of only a cup of black coffee for breakfast, and with all the caloric content corresponding to breakfast and lunch during the other two test days accumulated to one large lunch.
“We found that low low-carbohydrate diet increased blood glucose levels much less than the low-fat diet but that levels of triglycerides tended to be high compared to the low fat diet,” said Doctor Hans Guldbrand, who together with Professor Fredrik Nystrom was the principal investigator of the study.
“It is very interesting that the Mediterranean diet, without breakfast and with a massive lunch with wine, did not induce higher blood glucose levels than the low-fat diet lunch, despite such a large single meal,” said Nystrom.
This suggests that it s favorable to have a large meal instead of several smaller meals when you have diabetes.
“Our results give reason to reconsider both nutritional composition and meal arrangements for patients with diabetes,” Nystrom said.
Heading home after a long day at work, planning to relax on the couch and catch your favorite TV shows back-to-back? Well you could be at a risk of heart disease. Dutch researchers have found that the young people spend in front of TV, stiffer their arteries get a sign of likely heart disease in the future.
Minutes per day watching TV, compared to people with the most elastic carotid artery. Similar results were seen for stiffness of the femoral arteries in the legs. “The fact that your arteries aren’t elastic predisposes you to develop hypertension in later age and cardivascular disease.”
It has long been stablished that sedentary lifestyle is not good for health in general people who lead sedentary lifestyle (couch potatoes included) have a much higher incidence of coronary artery disease, diabetes mellitus and obesity. Trunkal obesity and obesity ingeneral is increasing at an alarming rate. This has happened because of in food habbits and lack of exercise.
…..extract from DNA after hours Melissa D’Costa
Saving one animal may not change the world but,
It will surely change the world for one animal
Best friends are like a cup cake we share,
Best friends are like our family we care..
Best friends with us are always there,
Whenever we want them for something to share..
Best friends are like our favorite T-shirt we wear,
Which never spoils until we tear..
Best friends always help when we are in need,